A San Bernardino Fire Department hazmat team was called to the Art Institue of San Bernardino after four students were overcome by noxious fumes early Monday.
The students had difficulty breathing after inhaling a bucket of cleaning materials.
The fumes forced the evacuation of 1,250 persons from the campus located along the 600 block of East Brier Drive in San Bernardino.
The incident happened around 9:20 a.m. when students were mixing the cleaning solution in a bucket intending to clean up some paint.
“They inhaled it and it irritated their lungs,” San Bernardino City Fire Department spokesman Tom Rubio said.
Two female students were taken to a hospital for treatment. Two other students were treated on the scene and released.
None of the injuries is believed to be serious, Rubio said. But the incident has tied up 14 fire units from San Bernardino, San Manuel Fire Department, Loma Linda Fire Department, and San Bernardino County Fire Department.
Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.
Half of the students have been allowed to return to classes. The building in which the fumes were produced remains closed until the hazmat teams finish their cleanup.