The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office declined Wednesday to file criminal charges against comedian Bill Cosby over allegations he sexually assaulted a woman at the Playboy Mansion in 2008 and another allegation dating to 1965
Prosecutors cited the statute of limitations and insufficient evidence in declining to file charges from the 2008 allegations. A lawsuit was filed Oct. 6 in federal court on behalf of the plaintiff, who claimed she was drugged and assaulted at the famed Playboy Mansion.
Cosby's attorneys said last year that the comedian was not at the mansion on the night of the alleged assault. Cosby's name did not appear on guest lists for mansion events in the summer of 2008, according to the district attorney's office. Cosby's name did appear on a guest list for a February 2008 event, according to the DA's office.
The accuser met early last year with Los Angeles police detectives, who forwarded the case to the district attorney for a decision on whether charges would be filed.
Top news of the day
Prosecutors also announced Wednesday that they declined to pursue a case against Cosby over allegations he sexually assaulted a woman in the Hollywood Hills in 1965, when the woman was 17 years old. Prosecutors also said that case was barred due to the statute of limitations.
The decision marked the second time the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office has declined to file charges against Cosby. In December 2014, prosecutors cited the statute of limitations in declining to pursuing a case against the entertainer over allegations that he sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1974.
Cosby has been accused by dozens of women who claim the comedian drugged and sexually assaulted them. He was charged with sexual assault last week in Pennsylvania -- the first criminal charge filed against the comedian.
Cosby and his representatives have repeatedly denied all allegations.