Suspects in Stow Assault Plead Not Guilty

Bryan Stow, a Bay Area paramedic, remains hospitalized after the March 31 assault at Dodger Stadium

Prosecutors claimed Wednesday that their case is based on incriminating statements from the two men accused in the March 31 assault of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow.

Special Section: The Bryan Stow Case | Case Timeline | Court Document Details Altercations

The information was submitted during arraignment for Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, in a downtown LA courtroom. Both men pleaded not guilty, and the judge ordered both held in lieu of $500,000 bail.

A pretrial hearing was scheduled for Sept. 30.

The suspects are charged with mayhem, assault, battery and other counts in the beating of the Bay Area paramedic. Stow suffered brain injuries and remains hospitalized.

During Wednesday's arraignment, prosecutors said Sanchez was overheard making an admission about the attack while in jail and Norwood made an admission during an interview. The information was presented in response to the revelation that one of 20 witnesses identified Sanchez in the attack and none identified Norwood.

Defense attorneys disagreed with prosecutors' contention that the number of people who identified Sanchez is no longer an issue in the case.


Get today's sports news out of Los Angeles. Here's the latest on the Dodgers, Lakers, Angels, Kings, Galaxy, LAFC, USC, UCLA and more LA teams.

Padres' Fernando Tatis Jr. Suspended 80 Games for Violating MLB's PED Policy

Bill Russell and the Future of League-Wide Jersey Retirements

"Making assertions and proving them are two different things,'' said Sanchez's defense attorney Gilbert Quinones.

During arguments on a motion to allow cameras in court, prosecutor Frank Santoro did not object, but the motion was denied after the defense objected.

Stow remains hospitalized. His family was in Los Angeles Tuesday for a fundraiser in Santa Monica.

Prosecutors contend in court papers that the high bail amounts are justified since the severity of the injuries to Stow more closely resembled  "homicide than an ordinary assault.''

Sanchez has been portrayed in court documents as the primary aggressor. He is accused in several altercations with fans outside Dodgers Stadium after the opening day game against the Giants.

Meanwhile, a spokeswoman for the District Attorney's Office said prosecutors have declined to file any charges against Dorene Sanchez, who was arrested along with the two suspects on suspicion of being an accessory, but was released on bail a short time later.

Witnesses said Stow's assailants fled in a car driven by a woman.  Prosecutors determined there was "insufficient evidence" to prove that Sanchez was an accessory to the beating, spokeswoman Jane Robison said.

Related: Key Events on Night of Attack

Sanchez and Norwood made two court appearances last month. A defense motion to reduce bail for Norwood was denied at one hearing, and a bail reduction hearing for Sanchez was delayed until Wednesday.

It was at that July 31 hearing that prosecutors submitted documents that outlined their account of the night of the assault.

Stow and his friends were involved in two altercations with Sanchez and Marvin Norwood after the March 31 Dodgers-Giants game, according to the DA's filing. Stow and his friends walked away from the first encounter, but Sanchez and Norwood continued to follow them in the stadium parking lot, according to the DA.

As Stow was looking at Norwood, Sanchez punched Stow in the side of the head and knocked him to the ground, according to the District Attorney's filing. Stow's friends then saw his head strike the concrete.

Sanchez took part in four assaults at the stadium, according to the documents. Before the altercation involving Stow and his friends, Sanchez allegedly threw a drink at a woman inside Dodger Stadium.

After the game, Sanchez ran at a group of men and swung a fist at one, then approached Stow and his friends, according to the DA.

On the day before the July 31 hearing at which the DA's account was submitted, a key witnesses identified in the court documents died. Mathew Lee, one of Bryan Stow's friends who witnessed the opening day attack, died as a result of a peanut allergy, according to authorities.

Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: Twitter: @NBCLA // Facebook: NBCLA

Contact Us