An elderly Huntington Beach couple was rescued early Monday by an alert neighbor who heard the popping of a fire inside their home.
A woman was asleep around 1:30 a.m. when the sound of the fire woke her up. She found her husband downstairs inside their home, and was confused as to where the fire was coming from, officials said.
The couple’s neighbor, Joey Falzon, woke up to the sounds of the fire and his neighbors coughing and screaming. Falzon ran to their front door and kicked it open, Capt. Bob Culhane said.
Falzon, who later told authorities that the home was getting uncomfortably hot, was able to get the couple out of the house.
Firefighters responded to the blaze 6000 block of Crista Palma Lane and were able to extinguish it by 1:50 a.m. Officials said excessive storage inside the home made it difficult to quickly contain the blaze.
One of the residents were taken to a hospital suffering from burns, officials said. Their condition was unknown.