A man police say was armed with a gun was fatally shot by an off-duty Cal State Los Angeles police officer in South Pasadena early Sunday, sheriff’s officials said.
The officer-involved shooting occurred just after 1 a.m. in the 100 block of Arroyo Verde Road, according to Officer Richard Pena, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.
The man confronted the officer and the fight escalated into a shooting, Pena said.
After being shot, the man drove off and struck a parked car, according to a statement released by the South Pasadena Police Department.
The suspect was then detained and taken to a hospital where he died, Pena said.
Police recovered the suspect’s pistol at the scene, and the off-duty officer suffered minor injuries, according to Deputy Tony Moore of the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau.
City News Service contributed to this report.
More Southern California Stories:
- Facebook Tip Leads to Rioting Arrest
- 17 Punished for Placing Sex Ads While Deployed
- More Arrests in "Surf City" Rioting
- Fwy Stretch to Reopen Ahead of Schedule
- Wildfires Burn in Cajon Pass
- SoCal Sunrises & Sunsets
- Fatal Crash Shuts Main LA-to-Vegas Route
- Uncle Stunned Over Nephew's Slaying