The 16-year-old half brother accused in the killing of an 11-year-old boy whose body was found near his Riverside County home is expected to appear in court on Monday when a judge could rule whether he should be tried as an adult.
Prosecutors have filed a murder charge against Skylor Atilano, 16, in the death of his 11-year-old half brother, Terry Dewayne Smith Jr., who was the subject of an intense search after he was reported missing on Sunday.
Riverside County District Attorney spokesman John Hall said Friday the charge against the 16-year-old suspect was filed in juvenile court.
But he says prosecutors will ask a judge at a Monday hearing to determine if the case should be transferred to adult court.
Terry's body was found Wednesday in a shallow grave under a tree behind the house he shared with his mother, half brother and other family.
His mother reported him missing Sunday. The search lasted four days.
More Southern California Stories:
- Teacher Abused Boys: Court Docs
- Fremont Offers Inmates Option to Pay for Private Cells
- FDNY Rescues Dog Trapped on Window Ledge
- WATCH: Race to Mackinac Parade of Boats
- Teacher Arrested on Wedding Day for Alleged Rape
- Kids Made Themselves Sick in Cafeteria as Part of Game
- Woman Tried to Smuggle Crack Pipes in Her Genitals: Cops
- Jet Vandalized by Tagger in Van Nuys