Mother Dies After House Fire Despite Rescue Efforts by Deputies, Firefighters

When deputies got to the burning home, the woman's son was outside screaming that his mother was stuck inside

View Comments ()



    A 90-year-old woman died in the hospital after a house fire despite rescue efforts by deputies and firefighters to pull her from the burning home on Tuesday, April 1, 2014.

    A woman died in the hospital Tuesday afternoon after a house fire despite rescue efforts by deputies and firefighters to pull her from the burning home.

    Two Orange County sheriff's deputies were at the scene of a blaze in the 21800 block of Todd Avenue in Yorba Linda about 9:50 a.m., according to the Orange County Fire Authority.

    Woman, 90, Rescued From Home Fire Dies

    [LA] 90-Year-Old Woman Rescued from Yorba Linda Home Dies
    A 90-year-old woman was rescued from the second floor of a burning home on Tuesday. She was taken to a burn center for treatment but died shortly after. Gordon Tokumatsu reports from Yorba Linda for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, April 1, 2014. (Published Tuesday, April 1, 2014)

    They arrived before firefighters and saw a man struggling in front of the house. The man, 56, told deputies his 90-year-old mother was upstairs.

    "He was saying, 'My mother is inside, my mother is inside, she's upstairs, she's upstairs," OC Sheriff's Deputy Robert Miranda said. "(He was) just kind of in shock."

    The deputies tried to get inside the house from the front, but the smoke was too thick. Miranda knocked in windows while a second deputy moved to a back entrance.

    "I was trying to see which bedroom she might be in because there were three windows to the rear of the house," OC Sheriff's Deputy Zack Bieker said.

    He broke a window and even climbed on the roof to try to get to the woman, but the smoke was still too heavy.

    "As soon as our firefighters got off the engine, the deputies were saying we have a patient upstairs," OC Fire Capt. Steve Concialdi said. "Downstairs was already on fire and smoke was going upstairs."

    Firefighters helped Bieker and Miranda pull the woman from the burning home. Once they got the woman outside, she was not breathing and had burns on her body.

    The woman died a few hours later while her son was treated for burns and smoke inhalation.

    The deputies were also temporarily hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts