Controversy continued Friday over Hollywood shoots at local public schools, as one day after LA school district leaders suspended film production on all campuses, the filming resumed.
Following an NBC4 I-Team investigation that found filming had interrupted some school activities and had included racy content, including a pornographic movie, Superintendent Ramon Cortines issued a statement late Thursday afternoon saying that he was suspending all filming pending an internal district review of filming policies.
But parents contacted NBC4 Friday, upset to find a shoot for a FOX TV show taking place at John Marshall High School in Los Feliz.
Top news of the day
Late Friday afternoon, Cortines issued a statement reversing course on the Thursday ban, saying filming "may be approved on a case-by-case basis" but will not "formally lift the suspension until staff has completed their review."
NBC4’s investigation found racy content being filmed at schools, including a pornographic movie.
Records revealed film shoots have also caused major disruptions: the bell schedule has been delayed, classes moved and athletic practices canceled.
Most schools contacted don't have a policy to notify parents about filming.
Some parents said that when they called Marshall High to find out what was going on today and no one could tell them anything.
“They should let all the parents know when they’re going to film and when, what time and what kind of filming their doing,” one parent said.
Cortines' statement in full:
"I understand the importance of filming in Los Angeles and the benefits it provides to our schools and the local economy.
This morning, I met with the District’s legal and facilities teams to review all filming activities previously approved and under way, as well as all filming applications pending final execution. Based on the information presented to me, I am satisfied that the use of our schools is appropriate at this time. As a result, I anticipate that five filming-related licenses will move forward over the next week.
I will not formally lift the suspension until staff has completed their review of existing practices and updated the District’s procedures to better ensure that the use of our schools is appropriate. However, I do believe that in the interim, requests to conduct filming activities at our schools should continue to be reviewed and may be approved on a case-by-case basis.
It is important that this District has the appropriate measures in place to protect not only its students, but its schools and property. It is also important that our actions do not significantly impact the greater Los Angeles area, including reducing job opportunities for residents, many of whom are part of the extended LAUSD family."