A Chihuahua named Jack Sparrow began acting erratically and later tested positive for methamphetamine, prompting police in Southern California to arrest his owner on suspicion of felony animal cruelty, authorities said Monday.
in Fontana, his owner was arrested on suspicion of felony animal cruelty, authorities said Monday.
It was the day after the Fourth of July when Jack’s owner, 21-year-old Isaiah Nathaniel Sais, brought him to the Inland Valley Emergency Pet Clinic in Upland.
Local news from across Southern California
The dog was suffering from convulsions and seizures, veterinarians said.
Sais said the dog was acting strange and may have eaten methamphetamine, according to Fontana police. Vets tested Jack and discovered he had ingested meth. When they told Sais the test results, Sais left the clinic with Jack.
The vets, thinking Jack’s life could have been at risk, called police, who went to Sais' home in the 10400 block of Hemlock Avenue. Officers found that Jack was still apparently affected by the drug and was living in conditions that suggested neglect, police said.
Jack was taken back to the animal hospital and was still recovering Monday. Police said the dog was hypersensitive to noise and sudden movements. He will be taken to a foster home when his condition improves.
Police arrested Sais on suspicion of felony animal cruelty Friday in Rancho Cucamonga. Information on an attorney for Sais was not immediately available.