A 22-year-old bicyclist was killed Thursday when she was struck by a FedEx delivery truck in a residential neighborhood of Fullerton, according to police.
The FedEx driver was traveling northbound on Ladera Vista Drive and did not see the cyclist, who was riding eastbound on Nutwood Avenue (map), according to Fullerton police Sgt. Jeff Stuart.
The cyclist, identified as Chelsea Kashergen, of Fullerton, was hit at about 2:15 p.m.
Local news from across Southern California
"In our preliminary investigation, it doesn't appear speed was a factor," Stuart said.
The truck was turning left onto Nutwood when it struck the cyclist, Stuart said, and the collision occurred in the intersection.
The truck driver remained at the scene and was cooperating with officers, Stuart said.
The bicyclist appeared to have the right of way, but the investigation was ongoing, Stuart told City News Service.
At the scene, Stuart told NBC it was "too early to consider or determine what exactly is the cause of the accident."
More Southern California Stories:
- Ex-USC Professor Pleads Not Guilty to Sex Charges
- Ex-Prof's Associate Arrested Naked in Storage Unit
- Marines Walk 2,700 Miles for Wounded Veterans
- Family Dog Shot, Killed During Burglary
- Tour the Historic Rose Bowl
- Driver Rescued From Lexus With Big Rig Trailer on Roof
- Family Arrives Home to Find House Ransacked, Dog Killed