Former KMPC Radio Anchor Found Stabbed in NY

WABC radio anchor George Weber was found dead in his apartment after failing to show up for work for two days, according to the New York Post.

Weber was a veteran radio newsman who worked at stations including KGO in San Francisco and KTLK and KMPC in Los Angeles before going to New York.

Weber’s bosses got worried after his unexplained absences and called the cops. Police found Weber stabbed to death in his Brooklyn bedroom at about 10 a.m. Sunday.

Authorities believe Weber was killed Friday night, according to the Post. That was also the last time he posted on his blog. Weber would have turned 58 on Monday.  

While there were no signs of forced entry in Weber’s apartment, neighbors said the home had been torn apart and cops said water was running from the bathroom faucet.

Weber had been working for ABC News for the last year. Prior to that, he was an anchor on WABC’s talk radio station for about a decade before being let go, the Post reported.

Police first showed up to Weber’s apartment at about 1 a.m. Sunday but left when he didn’t answer the bell because they didn’t want to break down the door, according to the Post. When they came back later, a neighbor showed them to an unlocked side door.


Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.

Disneyland characters choose to unionize in unanimous vote

Walker Buehler shuts out Reds with 6 dominant innings in Dodgers' 4-0 victory

No arrests have been made in Weber's death. The investigation is ongoing.

ABC News Radio vice president and general manager Steve Jones released the following statement:

"We are shocked and deeply saddened by the death of our colleague and friend George Weber, who was the victim of what police have deemed a homicide at his home in Brooklyn. An investigation has been launched by NYPD and we have been assisting them. Our condolences and prayers go out to George's family and friends at this very difficult time ... He really loved news radio and enjoyed being on the air and enjoyed the connection he had with his listeners ... 'He also loved Brooklyn and his neighborhood.''

Weber's death stunned residents of the neighborhood of handsome row houses.
Nick Olivieri, who lives across the street, said he had known Weber for nearly a decade.
"He was a real good guy,'' Olivieri said. "This is a shame -- this is a shock.''
Weber recounted on his blog how he was fascinated with radio from an early age and even set up a makeshift radio station in the basement of his childhood home in Philadelphia.
"While still in high school, I talked my way into a job at a daytime-only radio station in nearby Doylestown, Pa. -- WBUX,'' he wrote.
Fellow ABC radio reporter Aaron Katersky said it was strange to be reporting on the slaying of someone to whom he had phoned in the details of news stories himself.
"He was a nice fellow with an irreverent take on some of the day's events,'' Katersky said.

Contact Us