A 34-year-old convicted robber who led police on a wild two-hour pursuit in a minivan with sparks flying from a broken wheel before being shot by police last month faces charges in the case.
Raul Martinez of Los Angeles was charged with injuring a spouse, fleeing a pursuing peace officer's motor vehicle while driving recklessly, resisting executive officer, and brandishing a replica gun. He was convicted of second-degree robbery in 2012, prosecutors said.
He was hospitalized and then booked into custody after a pursuit captured by TV news crews on June 19 through the streets of Los Angeles.
The early-morning pursuit began after a domestic violence call at his home. Police said he had battered his wife and was possibly under the influence of methamphetamines. He allegedly took off in his wife's minivan, leading police on a chase.
During the chase, the suspect called 911 saying he had a gun in his lap and was suicidal, the Los Angeles Police Department said in a news release.
Police used spike strips to damage the tires, police said.
At one point, police fired beanbag rounds and bullets at him, but they had no effect and he got back in the car and the chase continued, police said.
Get Los Angeles's latest local news on crime, entertainment, weather, schools, COVID, cost of living and more. Here's your go-to source for today's LA news.
It ended when he stopped the van, got out, pointed a gun at officers and was shot by police, authorities said. Police recovered a replica black semi-automatic pistol from the ground near where Martinez fell, police said.
At the time, Martinez was hospitalized in critical condition. His status on Wednesday was not clear. He has a court date on Thursday.
If convicted, Martinez faces up to 12 years in state prison, prosecutors said.
Police said six officers were involved in the shooting and an ongoing internal investigation, standard in officer-involved shootings, is underway.