Man Dies After Eating Deadly Mushrooms

A Santa Barbara man who often searched for wild mushrooms near his home died seven days after he ate a deadly mushroom, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Angelo Crippa, 82, was picking mushrooms near Arroyo Burro Beach when he accidentally grabbed the wrong type, according to the newspaper.

Crippa cooked the mushrooms, also known as "death angel," with a steak, the Times reported. The newspaper reported that family members warned him of the dangers associated with his hobby.

"You couldn't tell him anything because he'd been so lucky for 82 years," his wife told the Times.

Crippa ate the deadly Amanita ocreata mushrooms. The white-bodied fungus is found in forests during wet seasons and fall.


Contact Us