A man who was engulfed in flames during a Halloween festival in West Hollywood was trying to light a cigarette moments before the fatal fire, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
Gilbert Estrada, 51, was at the massively attended Halloween Carnaval the night of Oct. 31 when his costume caught fire. He died from his injuries the next day.
Investigators from the sheriff’s homicide bureau Thursday night said the fire was an accident and likely caused when Estrada tried to “light some type of cigarette.”
Local news from across Southern California
An autopsy was conducted by the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner. The findings were deferred pending toxicology results.
Some 500,000 packed Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood on Halloween for the city’s annual festival.
Detectives had asked the public for help determining how Estrada’s costume ignited. At least one cellphone video captured the deadly blaze.
More Southern California Stories:
- Remains in Desert May Be Missing Family
- Ballet in the Aquarium
- Steve Martin Gets Last Laugh
- Forecast: Temperature Turn-Around
- 4 Marines Killed on Base ID'd
- Human Remains Unearthed in Victorville
- Lakers Give to Typhoon Relief
- 60 Freeway Reopens After Tanker Fire
- TSA Questioned After LAX Shooting
- Server Denied Tip For Being Gay
- Sailor's Surprise Homecoming
- Plane Scare at "Going Down" Remark