Man Accused of Kidnapping 4-Year-Old Girl Arraigned in Victorville

Family members of Terry Lynn Ransom said he is a good man but has struggled with drug addiction.

Family members of the man accused of snatching a 4-year-old girl from a Victorville store said he would never harm a child, and was so high on drugs that he didn't know what he was doing.

Terry Lynn Ransom, a 24-year-old Hesperia resident, was arraigned on Wednesday after he was accused of attempting to kidnap a 4-year-old girl.

Surveillance footage shows the alleged attempt as the child was yanked from near the entrance of a Victorville cellphone store. The girl's mother, with a baby on her hip, said she chased Ransom down with another customer. 

Ransom has a long criminal history that includes prior felonies. He said during his court appearance that he had nothing to do with the attempted abduction, and was in the hospital at that time.

His family members said he doesn't remember what happened that day, and has struggled with drug addiction.

"That day, he was so strung out," Drew Kelley, Ransom's cousin, said. "I'm hurt for him. He wasn't in his right state of mind at the time. He seriously needs help."

The attempted abduction occurred at Macias Cellular and Computers at 15303 7th Street on Friday. The child was unhurt, and her mother recovered her quickly. Bystanders then chased down the suspect.

The girl's mother told witnesses that she noticed a man stalking her outside before it happened. One of the good Samaritans involved said the suspect appeared to be high on drugs, and out of control.

"I had a water bottle, a metal water bottle filled with water. If I had needed to, I would have used it," Terrence Bradshaw said.

Ransom's family members said he is a good man with kids of his own.

"I apologize to the family that this happened to. But I don't know what to say, because I can't believe this happened. I don't even believe he did this. It's really hard because it's not him. It's not," his aunt, Merri Rudd, said.

Ransom's bail has been set at $250,000. He is due in court on July 14.

Contact Us