What to Know
- The city will hold a ticker-tape parade to celebrate the U.S. women's soccer team's World Cup victory Wednesday
- The parade will take place along "The Canyon of Heroes" at 9:30 a.m., followed by a ticketed event at City Hall Plaza at 10:30 a.m.
- Ticket registration for the City Hall Plaza event is available starting at 2 p.m. on Monday, July 8th
New York City will hold a ticker-tape parade to celebrate the U.S. women's soccer team's World Cup victory Wednesday, marking the second time that the honor will be bestowed upon female athletes.
Here are the answers to a handful of common questions about the parade.
What is the parade route?
The parade will take place along "The Canyon of Heroes," traveling east on Battery Place to Broadway, turning north on Broadway and then concluding at Chambers and Centre streets.
What is the time of the parade?
U.S. & World
News from around the country and around the globe
The parade kicks off at 9:30 a.m. A special ceremony at City Hall Plaza will follow at 10:30 a.m.
How can I watch the parade?
If you can't watch the parade in person, don't worry. We've got you covered. NBC 4 New York will air full TV coverage of the event and will stream all the action on this website.
How many people does the Plaza hold?
It holds more than 3,500 people.
What streets will be closed?
The NYPD will begin street closings on Broadway and the surrounding area and the surrounding area at approximately 6 a.m. before the parade starts. "No Parking" will be in effect beginning at 12 a.m. Wednesday. Any cars remaining will be towed.
The Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan Bound) Centre Street exit will be closed for the duration of the parade. The Park Row entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge will also be closed during this time. Those looking for access to the Brooklyn Bridge should use the Frankfort Street/Pearl Street entrance, the city says.
Deliveries will be restricted for all businesses and residences in the area beginning 10 p.m. Tuesday and will not resume until Wednesday 5 p.m.
What about train and bus services?
The MTA will have train service changes, and may close certain subway entrances and exits in the area. Due to street closures, many MTA buses may be re-routed. Head to the MTA website for details.
How much did the previous Women's World Cup parade cost?
About $2 million, of that $450,000 in private donations.
Was any of the previous parade sponsored?
Where does the confetti come from?
Confetti comes from a number of sources—residential buildings and businesses along on the route purchase it, residents provide their own. There is no single source of paper.
How much trash has been collected from recent parades?
Here are the numbers from the last nine parades:
- 7/10/15 U.S. Women's National Soccer Team World Cup Win 29.6 tons
- 2/7/12 New York Giants Super Bowl XLVI Win 34.06 tons
- 11/6/09 New York Yankees World Series Win 56.55 tons
- 2/5/08 New York Giants Super Bowl XLII Win 34.2 tons
- 10/30/00 NY Yankees Subway Series World Series Win 46.7 tons
- 10/29/99 New York Yankees World Series Win 57.4 tons
- 11/16/98 John Glenn & NASA Astronauts 12.9 tons
- 10/23/98 New York Yankees World Series Win 43.9 tons
- 10/29/96 New York Yankees World Series Win 50 tons
- 6/17/94 New York Rangers Stanley Cup Win 20.5 tons