Dodger Stadium

Lawyer for Man Beaten at Dodger Stadium Says It's Like Bryan Stow's 2011 Attack

He also referenced the similarities between Bryan Stow's attack in 2011, and Reyna's.

A 47-year-old man was hospitalized and on life support this morning, four days after he was punched and seriously injured in an assault in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium.

"This tragedy urges the question of, 'what has the Los Angeles Dodgers done since 2011... when another visitor to the stadium, Mr. Bryan Stow, was injured and severely hurt that afternoon?'" attorney Carl Douglas said at a Tuesday news conference. Douglas is best known as one of the defense lawyers for O.J. Simpson. 

Rafael Reyna was hospitalized at County/USC Medical Center after his wife, Christel, said he was punched and suffered a fractured skull as the crowd was leaving the Los Angeles Dodgers' 5-4, 13-inning loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks early Saturday.

She told NBC4 she was on Facetime with Rafael Reyna when she heard a woman yell "Why did you do that?'' as a man approached her husband and cursed at him. Then she heard a crack and the screen went black.

She said her husband has swelling and bleeding on the brain.

She and an adult son have been with her husband at the hospital, but Reyna said she has not told her younger children, ages 11 to 15.

A GoFundMe account has been set up for Reyna. 

Initially, Los Angeles police investigated the incident as an altercation but have now labeled it an assault.

The suspect, who got away, is described as a man in his 20s who might have driven off in a white SUV, possibly a Toyota 4Runner, police said.

The Dodgers security team is working with police and the organization released the following statement Saturday:

"Last night, an altercation occurred suddenly between two men who were leaving the stadium,'' the statement said. "One of the men was injured as a result of the altercation. A witness immediately reported the incident to stadium personnel, and emergency medical technicians were promptly dispatched to provide medical assistance at the scene. The matter is now being investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department, and the Dodgers are cooperating fully with the investigation.''

In 2011, an attack outside Dodger Stadium left Bryan Stow of Santa Cruz severely brain-damaged.

"I can't believe that it's been eight years since it happened to me that it's happening again," Stow told a Bay Area TV station. "I feel totally sad for him and his family and angry about the people that did this to him."

The two men who attacked Stow pleaded guilty in 2014 and one, Lonnie Sanchez, was sentenced to eight years in prison while the other, Marvin Norwood, received a four-year sentence. The incident prompted increased security measures at the stadium.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us