Tanker Truck Explosion on 105 Freeway Prompts Closures

What to Know

  • Fiery tanker crash at Crenshaw Boulevard closed both sides of the 105 Freeway.
  • Both drivers, one in a tanker and one in another vehicle, were killed.
  • The westbound lanes reopened by 7:30 p.m. on Friday.

All Metro Green Line stations will resume service at 3.53 a.m. Saturday after a fiery crash prompted closures of the 105 Freeway Friday. 

Metro spokesman Jose Ubaldo said trains will share one track between the Vermont/Athens and Crenshaw/105 stations as repair work continues. 

Ubaldo also said passengers should expect delays of approximately 10 minutes. 

The Friday morning fiery crash involving a gasoline tanker truck and an SUV on the westbound Glenn Anderson (105) Freeway in Hawthorne left both drivers dead and prompted closure of the freeway in both directions.

The collision occurred about 5:15 a.m. on the westbound 105 near Prairie Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol. The names of the drivers who died in the crash were withheld, pending notification of their relatives.

Uber driver Hisaki Shimidu told reporters he saw the SUV speeding through traffic before the crash.

"I saw one reckless driver (going) very fast -- 75 to 80 miles per hour ... almost like racing," Shimidu said.

The SUV then struck the center divider, he said. CHP Capt. Doug Young said at a late-morning news briefing that investigators had not yet spoken to witnesses, and the cause of the crash remained under investigation.

"Initial reports are that a tanker truck and an SUV became entangled in some form of traffic collision," he said. "Both vehicles struck the center divider, overturned and caught fire."

The resulting inferno resulted in a full closure of the freeway in both directions, backing up traffic for miles at the onset of the morning rush hour. Fire crews arriving at the scene found a raging, gasoline-fed fire.

They initially began pouring water on the blaze, but after realizing they would be unable to douse the flames -- and that nobody in either vehicle could have survived the inferno -- they opted to let the blaze burn itself out.

That took about two hours. The big rig involved in the crash was hauling a pair of tanks, only one of which caught fire. The second overturned but remained intact, Young said. With fuel pouring out of the burning portion of the tanker onto the roadway shoulder, firefighters dammed the flow so crews could clean up the spill.

Another tanker truck was brought in to remove gasoline from the rear tanker trailer that didn't burn. By late morning, that effort was continuing. Coroner's officials had to wait for the fuel to be off-loaded before entering the scene to remove the remains. With both sides of the freeway closed, the 105 Freeway was turned into a parking lot.

At least one trapped motorist could be seen getting out of his vehicle with luggage, apparently hoping to find an alternate way to Los Angeles International Airport on foot. Operators of a food truck on the freeway opened for business near the center divider, serving the stranded drivers.

The eastbound side of the 105 Freeway reopened at about 8 a.m., but westbound lanes remained closed until about 7:30 p.m. Service on the Metro Green Line light rail, which runs along the center of the freeway, was suspended between the Hawthorne/Lennox and Vermont/Athens stations due to the fire.

Buses were brought in to shuttle passengers through the affected area, but passengers were being advised to expect extensive delays and consider alternate forms of travel. Power lines that supply energy to trains were damaged as were some sections of the tracks, according to Metro, which reported that repair work could stretch into the weekend. 

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us