Nearly two dozen lots of blood glucose test strips are being recalled because they may calculate wrong results when used with certain meters, a Southern California company announced Wednesday.
Abbott Diabetes Care is recalling FreeStyle® and FreeStyle Lite® Blood Glucose Test Strips sold in the U.S.
The recalled test strips may produce erroneously low blood glucose results when used with the OmniPod® Insulin Management System, or with the "FreeStyle® Blood Glucose Meter" and "FreeStyle® Flash Blood Glucose Meter" – neither of which have been made since 2010.
When the test strips are used with the newer FreeStyle brand meters, the test results are not affected.
The affected test strips are from lots with expiration dates between May 2014 and March 2015.
The following lot numbers are included in the recall:
Based in Alameda, Calif., Abbott Diabetes Care said it is alerting health care professionals, pharmacies and distributors about the recall.
Customers can call 1-888-736-9869 for a replacement of the affected test strips at no charge.
More Southern California Stories:
- Fight at Rialto Walmart Parking Lot
- Father Suspected of Abducting Sons
- Mother Turns Tragedy Into Hope
- Teen Cyclist Hurt in Hit-and-Run
- Bomb Hoax Halts I-15 Traffic
- Ex-Marine in Homeless Killings Dies
- Beautiful Menorahs Around SoCal
- Weekend: Hollywood Christmas Parade