A body inside a burned car that was partly submerged in a creek was discovered Wednesday by a jogger near the University of California, Irvine, campus, police said.
The body was found about 9:20 a.m. near Michelson Drive and Harvard Avenue when the jogger noticed the rear of the car sticking out from brush along the San Diego Creek, police said. When he took a closer look, he saw the body inside.
It was unclear how the car ended up in the creek, but tire tracks could be seen leading up to Riparian View, which is a small access road to a nearby water plant and wildlife sanctuary.
Police said their preliminary investigation indicated that the car had not been in a collision.
Investigators were working to identify the body.
More Southern California Stories:
- Transformed Lot Gives Students First Recess in Park
- Lakers 320-Game Sellout Streak Over
- New Moms Turn to Placenta Pills
- Sketch of Attempted Kidnapper
- Raiders Great Todd Christensen Dies
- Desperation in Tacloban
- Charity Rocks On – and On
- Lauer Talks Men's Health,Twerking