Nearly one week after the attack, a man has been arrested in connection with the fatal stabbing of a passenger on the Metro Red Line train. Kate Larsen reports for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 19, 2014.
A North Hollywood man has been arrested on murder charges after a Metro Red Line passenger was fatally stabbed in the neck last week.
Investigators on Friday executed a search warrant at the suspect’s residence in North Hollywood, where they arrested Angelo Correia, 25, on suspicion of murdering 34-year-old Los Angeles resident Jose Velasco-Alvarado, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
After receiving an anonymous tip, investigators established his identity and found his home.
Correia was booked at the West Hollywood Station and is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.
Detectives are continuing their investigation into the circumstances surrounding the stabbing death, which occurred on the Metro Red Line at the Vermont/Santa Monica Station (map). The station was closed for investigation the day of the stabbing, but reopened later that morning.
Velasco-Alvarado died at a hospital Monday about 6:36 p.m. after suffering one stab wound in the neck, Metro officials said.
Many commuters said the incident is frightening and is a sign of more security measures that need to be taken on the Metro.
"I ride the trains and the bus and Metro, and I feel uncomfortable a lot, so it wasn't super surprising to me," commuter Kyron Richard said. "I think a lot of improvement needs to be made to LA transportation."
"I just got here on the Metro, and there was about to be a fight on the train just a few minutes ago," communter Eder Gonzalez said. "Just hearing this kind of situation terrifies me that it can happen at anytime to anybody."
Another rider suggested adding more security guards to the lower levels.
"There needs to be more security," commuter Shaya Clowny said. "When you go downstairs, no one is down there, only cameras. At that moment, cameras can't save you."
The case will be presented to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office on Jan. 21.
NBC4's Kate Larsen contributed to this report.