A Yorba Linda resident shot and killed an intruder who broke into his home early Sunday, authorities said.
The incident happened about 3 a.m. in the 5000 block of Wendover Road, said Orange County Sheriff’s Lt. Jeff Hallock.
The wife of the man who shot the intruder called 911 saying he had a man at gunpoint, Hallock said. The men had been arguing, deputies said. There was a baby in the house.
Deputies said they were looking into what, if any, charges might be filed against the man who fired the gun, but said it appears to be self defense.
Neighbors, meanwhile, were shocked.
“This is Yorba Linda," Tom Perkins said. "Nothing happens in Yorba Linda. It's a bedroom community."
Police believe it might have been a random break-in and that the intruder had gotten in by possibly scaling a fence behind the house.
Investigators were looking into whether there have been other break-ins in the neighborhood and were investigating tips from neighbors about suspicious solicitors going door to door.
More Southern California Stories:
- Fiery Tanker Truck Crash on I-710
- Tanker Crash Flames Engulf Streets
- Man Killed in Deputy Shooting
- Human Remains Found in Carson
- Marcia Wallace's Comic Voice
- El Monte Rape Suspect Arrested
- Haunted House Angers Neighbors
- Residents Don't Want Rapist in Town