Authorities responded to a report of "shots fired" Wednesday at Jackson Ranch in the Silverado area of Orange County.
The location (map) is about 25 miles southeast of Anaheim in a rural area.
People leaving the ranch equestrian center told the Orange County Sheriff's Department they heard gunfire coming from near the property.
Some witnesses near the scene described bullets several minutes apart that whizzed by. They believed the bullets were aimed at a nearby vineyard and farm.
Riders taking horseriding lessons took cover.
"I didn't think much of it, but eventually it got worse ... hitting trees," said Viviana Vidaurre, who was taking a lesson at the time.
No injuries were reported. A woman was detained at the scene, and police were questioning a man in his 20s.
Authorities said there was no danger to the community.
A SWAT unit responded to the area near the equestian center. A perimeter was established around an adjacent residence, according to the OC Sheriff's Department, and a search warrant was set to be served by early evening.
East Santiago Canyon Road was closed between Williams and Modjeska Canyon roads. The Silverado Children's Center on Santiago Canyon Road was evacuated.
More Southern California Stories:
- Coast Guard Searches for Missing SoCal Boater
- How to Tell If Back Surgery Is Right for You
- "Horrendous" Conditions Found at Pet Breeder
- SoCal's Best Grocery Chains
- Body Found in Car Parked at IE Motel
- Orbiter Snaps Shot of Curiosity's Mars Road Trip
- Trader Joe's Tops List of Favorite Grocery Chains
- Teen Accused of Inciting "Flash Mob" Crimes