The woman who first noticed the bloodsucking creepy crawlers yelped to others in the courtroom and chaos ensued; several people ran out of the proceedings, including the man with the bugs on him, the Daily News reported.
A Manhattan Criminal Court spokesman confirmed to the News that there was bug-related havoc in one of the arraignment rooms around 11:30 a.m., but said that no evidence of bedbugs was found in the area.
Court officers called in an exterminator as a precaution. The courtroom was evacuated for a time during the extermination treatment, and when it reopened, the three rows near where the alleged bug man had been sitting were roped off.
Some court-goers were still highly disturbed by the idea of the bugs, despite court officers' assurances there was no evidence of bugs in the room even before the exterminator was called in.
"People were scratching themselves. Everyone in the courtroom was uncomfortable," one witness told the News. "I'm still scratching myself. Just telling the story I get itchy."
More New York-Area Stories:
- Ex-Federal Prosecutor Found Dead Under N.J. Bridge
- "Road Rage" Rabbi Arrested Again Over Alleged Fake Cop Ploy
- Boy Brings Gun to Summer School, Aims at Classmates: Officials
- Mom Beats Nanny Who Tried to Stop Her from Drunk Drive: Officials
- Mayor Bloomberg to Obese NYers: Take the Stairs