One man died at a Santa Ana apartment Wednesday of a suspected overdose and two others were rushed to a hospital.
A hazardous materials team from the Orange County Fire Authority was summoned because of a "white powdery substance" found in the unit at 801 S. Fairvew St., said Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
Investigators suspect it is Fetanyl, a powerful painkiller, but won't know for sure until it's tested, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Larry Kurtz.
When officers arrived at the apartment complex just before 10 a.m., they found one man dead with "blood coming out of his nose," and two others passed out, Bertagna said.
Top news of the day
A woman and three young children were evacuated from the home and underwent decontamination, he said. According to reports from the scene, they came out of a room to find the men on the floor, and the woman called for help.
The man who died was 30 years old, Kurtz said. The other patients were men, ages 18 and 25, he said.