Police arrested a fugitive who led them on a pursuit in a stolen car in downtown Los Angeles, crashed, and then carjacked a woman and tried to flee again, authorities said.
The man appeared to finally give up as he ran into rush-hour traffic on the 110 Freeway.
The wreck happened at Third Street and Beaudry Avenue (map), police said.
Local news from across Southern California
Aerial footage of the scene showed a red car smashed in the intersection. A silver sport-utility vehicle went over sidewalk and landed on a hill touching the freeway.
The wanted driver jumped from that SUV onto the 110 Freeway and carjacked a driver to start another chase, according to a spokesperson for the Los Angeles Police Department.
That second pursuit ended 2 miles from the Third Street crash scene.
Three people were taken into custody, LAPD said.
At least one person was seen on a stretcher being put into an ambulance. It was not clear exactly how many people were injured.
More Southern California Stories:
- High School Football Players Accused of Sex Crimes
- Preventive Care Services and the Affordable Care Act
- LA Is "Auto Fraud Capital" of California
- 105 Fwy Reopens After Methane Gas Leak
- Mom Charged in Children's Killings Was in Custody Battle
- Ex-TSA Agent Appears in Court on Threat Charges
- Deputies on Patrol for Mission Viejo Flasher