Man Dies at Hospital After Rescue From South Gate House Fire

A man died at the hospital Wednesday after he was rescued from a burning home in South Gate.

The fire was reported at 2:49 a.m. in the 10,000 block of San Vicente Avenue, Los Angeles County Fire Department Dispatch Supervisor Imy McBride said. Firefighters responded to a report of a gas odor in the area.

They arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the single-story home.

The flames were put out at 3:38 a.m., she said.  

A cause was not immediately determined. Firefighters said the home was cluttered with items, describing the interior as pack rat conditions. 

Neighbors said the victim, a man in his 70s, lived alone at the home. 

Contact Us