4 cups or 2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced
3 Tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 qt. reduced sodium, fat-free, organic chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup fat-free half and half
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
Sea salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger, sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock and sliced carrots. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Working in batches, purée mixture in blender or processor. Return soup to saucepan. Alternately, remove from heat and purée with immersion blender.
4. Mix in orange juice and fat-free half and half. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Mix in cinnamon and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer before continuing, thinning with more stock if desired.
6. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
Note: Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Calories per serving: 150
Calorie equivalent: 1 oz. protein, 2 vegetables