Orange Post Office Named for Soldier Killed in IED Blast in Iraq

A ceremony was held Wednesday naming the Orange Post Office in honor of U.S. Army Spc. Trevor A Win'E, an Orange County native who was killed in Iraq.

Rep. Lou Correa, who authored the bill naming the post office the "Specialist Trevor A. Win'E Post Office," presided at the ceremony, which was attended by members of Win'E's family and unit, local ROTC programs and students, and Pastor Frank Orzio of the Wounded Warrior Ministry, a two-time Purple Heart recipient as a Marine Corps sergeant during the Vietnam War.

"Spc. Win'E's sacrifice is a loss for his community and our country, but he will not be forgotten," said Correa, D-Santa Ana. "This post office will serve as a way to carry on his legacy and remind future generations of the importance of selflessness and honor." 

Win'E was born Sept. 24, 1981, and graduated from Calvary Chapel High School in Santa Ana in 2000. He enjoyed hockey, snowboarding, scuba diving, and going to the mountains and river. He was known for his infectious smile and dimples.

Win'E attended Concordia University Irvine and installed chemical operating systems before enlisting in the U.S. Army on May 1, 2002, fulfilling a childhood dream.

Following basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia, and training as a petroleum supply specialist at Fort Lee, Virginia, Win'E was assigned to the Petroleum Platoon in the 24th Quartermaster Supply Company at Fort Lewis, Washington.

In November 2003, the 24th Quartermaster Supply Company was scheduled to deploy to Iraq. Win'E was assigned to South Korea but approached his commander to request that he be allowed to serve alongside his fellow soldiers in the unit.

Win'E was granted the request to continue with the 24th Quartermaster Supply Company to Iraq. The company provide fuel support to the 3rd Brigade and the 44th Corps Support Battalion so they could conduct their tactical road march into Iraq.

Win'E was in the lead truck of a convoy in Tikrit, Iraq, on April 30, 2004, serving as a turret gunner when the convoy was attacked by multiple roadside bombs. He was severely injured and died the following day, exactly two years after his enlistment. He was 22.

"This young man's bravery and courage is an inspiration,'' Correa said. "When given the opportunity to serve, Spc. Win'E volunteered to go where he was needed most. He put his country and his fellow soldiers first. He is an honor to his country." 

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us