OC Homeless Murders Suspect Linked to Additional Crimes

The suspect was arrested in early January in connection with four murders

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP
    This photo released by the Anaheim Police Department shows Itzcoatl Ocampo, a 23-year-old Iraq War veteran arrested in connection with the murders of four homeless men.

    The suspect in a string of transient murders in Orange County has been linked to additional crimes, according to Anaheim police.

    Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, has been connected with the suspect of another fatal stabbing in Orange County, police said Thursday during a news conference.

    Detectives are investigating Ocampo's link to the fatal stabbings of a Yorba Linda woman and her son in October, said Lt. Julian Harvey of the Homeless Homicide Taskforce.

    Another man, Eder Herrera, has been charged with those murders, but police suspect Ocampo was also involved.

    Police would not comment on the connection between Ocampo and Herrera, but based on the location of the crime, the proximity to his residence and the modus operandi (MO), they are linking the two incidents previously thought to be separate, Harvey said.

    Ocampo, an Iraq War veteran, was arrested Jan. 13 and charged with the murders of four homeless men in OC, including Anaheim, Placentia and Yorba Linda.

    Police at the time said they were "extremely confident" that they had taken into custody the man responsible for the slayings.

    Shortly after his arrest, prosecutors said they would consider seeking the death penalty against. He has been charged in the stabbing deaths of four transients.

    "In each of these cases, the violence, the number of stab wounds increased," OC District Attorney Tony Rackauckas told NBC LA.

    An arraignment scheduled for Jan. 18 was postponed, pushing Ocampo's arraignment to Feb. 17. He remains jailed without bail.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: Twitter: @NBCLA // Facebook: NBCLA