Coverage of a fiery bus crash involving Southern California students

19 LAUSD Students Aboard Bus That Crashed in Northern CA

Five students and five adults were killed in the fiery bus crash

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    School officials discuss the bus crashed that killed 10 people in northern California. Toni Guinyard reports for Today in LA on Friday April 11, 2014. (Published Friday, Apr 11, 2014)

    Los Angeles school officials released a list Friday morning of schools attended by Los Angeles Unified School District students aboard a bus that crashed in northern California, killing five students and five adults.

    Officials could not confirm early Friday whether LAUSD students were among the deceased victims but a Los Angeles family confirmed their 18-year-old son from the El Monte Unified High School District was among the missing and feared dead.

    Officials called the family of Adrian Castro Friday morning to give them the heartbreaking news that their son was unaccounted for.

    Not All LAUSD Students Have Been Located: LAUSD Official

    [LA] Not All LAUSD Students Have Been Located: LAUSD Official
    Michelle King, senior deputy superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District, addressed how the school district is handling the deadly bus crash, in which 19 LAUSD students were aboard from 16 LAUSD schools, during a press conference Friday in Northern California. (Published Friday, Apr 11, 2014)

    Nineteen students from 16 LAUSD schools were aboard the bus, one of three destined for a student preview visit at Humboldt State University. School officials said students from other Southern California school districts also were aboard the bus that crashed.

    "The news of last night's bus crash near Orland continues to grow more grim and heartbreaking today," said Tom Torlakson, state superintendent of public instruction, in an email statement.

    LAUSD officials, including Superintendent John Deasy and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti,  spoke at a press conference Friday afternoon.

    "We will do everything we can to help families get through this moment," Garcetti said.

    Not all of the students involved in the crash had been located, officials said during an earlier press conference Friday morning. That inormation was repeated by Deasy Friday afternoon.

    LAUSD officials will continue to wait for families to arrive at Northern California hospitals, he said.

    Parents and family members in need of assistance can call 213-241-3841.

    The Los Angeles School Police Association set up an LAUSD Family Support Fund to help those affected. You can donate here.

    The list of LAUSD schools with students aboard the bus is below:

    • San Fernando High School
    • Dorsey High School
    • Fremont High School
    • City of Angels High School
    • Manual Arts High School
    • Banning High School
    • Carson High School
    • Chavez High School
    • Diego Rivera High School
    • Middle College High School
    • Belmont High School
    • Wilson High School
    • Chatsworth High School
    • Jefferson High School
    • Grant High School

    The trip was organized by officials with Humboldt State University. The school is using sign-up sheets and bus rosters to identify the passengers.

    One of the LAUSD students, Jonathan Gutierrez from Banning High School in Wilmington, described the crash as "surreal." He was seated at the back of the bus when he heard a loud "bang."

    “It was just a big bang. I had my eyes closed. I was trying to go to sleep. When I heard it I was just like, 'What just happened?' I didn’t want to believe that we crashed but, it was surreal moment," Gutierrez said.

    A delegation of LAUSD officials arrived Friday morning and was escorted to the crash site by law enforcement officers. Another group was expected to arrive later Friday.

    A second bus that was part of the tour also left from Southern California and the third bus originated in Fresno.